Home Baby shower Man charged with shooting dead another man outside Bedford Park Baby Shower

Man charged with shooting dead another man outside Bedford Park Baby Shower

0
Bronx County Courthouse on January 14, 2022
Photo by Adi Talwar

Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark announced Thursday, March 10 that a New Rochelle man has been charged with second-degree murder and additional charges for fatally shooting a man in a melee. bloody in Bedford Park, which also killed the defendant’s brother.

Clark said the accused, Wayne Smith, 28, of New Rochelle, NY, was arraigned on Thursday for second-degree murder, first-degree manslaughter, first-degree gang assault, two counts second degree criminal possession of a weapon. , and criminal possession of a firearm before Bronx Supreme Court Justice Steven Barrett.

She said: ‘The defendant and several other men were involved in an argument at a baby shower and took the dispute outside, where the defendant allegedly shot and killed one man while another l stabbed. The victim had shot and killed the accused’s brother during the incident. The violent scene was captured on video.

According to the inquest, and as reported, on February 12, 2022, at approximately 10:45 p.m., the accused, his brother and several other men, including the deceased, 24-year-old Arnold Oliver, were involved in an argument. While attending a baby shower near 393 East 198th Street in Bedford Park, they walked out of the party and started fighting.

The men allegedly assaulted Oliver, who pulled out a gun and shot them, hitting Smith’s brother. An unapprehended person allegedly stabbed Oliver multiple times in the head and neck. Smith took Oliver’s gun and allegedly shot him at least once in the head. Smith then allegedly repeatedly stomped and kicked Oliver as he lay on the ground.

Police arrived on the scene and saw Smith with the gun drawn, kicking Oliver, and arrested him. Oliver was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The investigation is ongoing.

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Orville Reynolds, Homicide Bureau attorney, under the supervision of Christine Scaccia, Homicide Bureau Chief, and under the general supervision of James Brennan, Deputy Chief of the First Division. court, and Theresa Gottlieb, head of the trial division.

Clark thanked Shaniqua Carr, director of professional staff for the trial division, assisting with trial preparation, Taylor Erklenz, of the homicide bureau, as well as NYPD detectives Fairoze Edoo of the 52nd Precinct team and Patrick Flatley of the Bronx Homicide for their work on the investigation. .

In 2013, as reported, police said two young men, aged 20 and 22, were shot dead during a baby shower in Concourse Village on Saturday February 9, 2013. Both were taken to hospital Lincoln. The young man, Brooklyn resident Jamie Joseph, died of his injury in hospital, while the other victim was listed in stable condition the following morning. Two days later, police announced that a 19-year-old Williamsbridge resident had been arrested and charged with murder and attempted murder, among other charges.

The accused was taken into custody and is due back in court on March 16.

A person arrested and charged with a crime is innocent unless and until convicted by a court.