FORT LEE, Va. (WRIC) – Afghan refugees are staying temporarily at Fort Lee near Hopewell as they go through the next steps in the VISA process and plan for their resettlement.
Many of these refugees do not have enough clothing and the families staying in Fort Lee need things for babies and young children.
Fort Lee officials have shared a list of needs with the Prince George County government.
Summer clothing is a big need, and a Prince George County Facebook post says new or lightly used clothing is preferred. These clothes will be some of the first people buy as they rebuild their lives here in the United States.
Clothing should be conservative, with no logos or inappropriate language.
The following clothing is required:
- Underwear for women and girls
- Leggings for girls and women (critical need)
- Sports bras (critical need)
- Small / Medium size ladies shirts (preferably lightweight material with ¾ to long sleeves)
- Long skirts size Small / Med
- Closed toe shoes women sizes 7-8
- Socks size 7-8 woman
- Men and boys underwear
- Pants size 34 and under for men
- Shorts size 34 and under for men
- Shirts all sizes
- Belts size 34 and less
- Men’s Closed Toe Sizes 7-8
- Socks sizes 7-8 for men
- All sizes for boys’ clothing
The following other items are required:
- Coloring books
- Play cards
- Children’s games
- Soccer balls
- Duffel bags
- Nail clippers
- First aid kits
- Electric kettles to heat tea and bottles (critical need)
- Phone chargers
- Personal hygiene items
Anyone wishing to provide personal hygiene items is requested to donate travel bottles instead of the normal size.
For the latest news delivered to you, subscribe to the WFXR breaking news mailing list
Get the latest news, weather and sports on your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.